Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thing # 2: The Effect of Web 2.0

Web 2.0 and this online class "23 Things" have already made an effect on my life personally and as a teacher. This is my 30th year to be in education, but please keep in mind that I started teaching when I was five. Ok, maybe not and I am just kidding! I use that phrase a lot when I talk with other people, teachers, teaching my students, and riding the "experience" rollercoaster of dealing with "teenagers" on a daily basis. When I first started teaching thirty years ago, a teacer would consider a "ditto machine" as technology. I am sure that some of you are wondering what the heck that is? Watching the video link "Shift Happens" shows us just how technology has changed through the years and how it continues to change. In fact, it is so constant, where it is hard for all of us to comprehend and know how to use technology effectively.

This year I have started using a ceiling mounted "projector" and an "Elmo"! How did I teach all those years without these two things? The fact of the matter is; I did and I will continue to step "outside the box" and use new and bigger things. Students are bombarded with images that stimulate the brain while experiencing life, watching television, playing video games, and by reading a book or magazine, and etc. As a result of all of these images, they have developed the need to be "being entertained" and not always taking a personal responsiblity for their learning.

With accountability being an important word in connection to education and students; we can't teach the same way we did even two years ago. Keeping students in school, engaged, and on task will continue to change if we don't step out of our comfort zone and turn to a different way of teaching. That is where technology comes into the picture and will help us stay ahead of the game. People in general should not be afraid of "technology;" but embrace it and take risks.

1 comment:

  1. I also have quite a few years under my belt, and I've seen more changes in technology in the last five years, than in all the years before! It is amazing and so fun!

    ReplyDelete