Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thing #10: Creative Commons

Being a teacher, we have been told numerous times to make sure that we pay attention to the big "C" laws as in copyright laws. As consumers, we continue to be warned about the copyright laws when downloading music. I don't know of anyone who would like to be given a astronomical bill because they were caught downloading music off of the different "free music websites" that are really not necessarily "free." I am sure that everyone remembers the first music download program called Napster. I am also sure that no one was ready for the "Napster" nightmare that occurred not very long after the program was shared by millions of people. I know that downloading music using itunes can be expensive, but I would rather buy some of those old must have songs than download them illegally.

Not all people consciously break copyright laws, we are all humans and I feel sure that sometimes we may break a law or two without realizing it. I just hope that the "CC" police never have to knock on my door and have an endless list of questions for me to answer. I can't recall ever noticing or hearing about CC on any websites that I have visited since I began using the internet. I will say that I am more aware to make sure that I check to see if there is a CC posted on a website. I am not really sure if the "CC" police would actually like hearing people begging forgiveness for their infractions.

Because I learn best using all three modalities, I try to incorportate all three modalities when I am creating my lessons for my students. Not being an artist, nor claiming to be an artist, I use a lot of pictures and clipart when I put together powerpoint presentations, journal writing assignments, and etc. I also use "clips" from movies, youtube videos, commercial clips, and songs in order to show real-life applications. My students seem to enjoy all of these different and creative ways in which I teach material they are required to learn. It makes it also very enjoyable for me as a teacher, because I have to think "outside the box" when I am preparing these lessons. I make sure that I stress to my students that their are copyright laws out there that they need to pay close attention to.

At Poteet, I am the co-chair for our Pirates in Training Camp (PIT Camp), which is our freshman orientation that we have each year. The other co-chair and I wrote a curriculumn that we have shared with the other four high schools in the district. After the second year we used the curriculumn, we added a copyright to the curriculumn. Knowing that one of my creations is copyrighted is kind of cool. We were also having a discussion the other day at lunch that all the lessons that we create are copyrighted as well. It makes me feel just a little bit more important for just a few minutes at least. I wonder if the powerpoints that I created using "CC'S", are mine? But I do share them with other teachers, and I wonder if they give me credit for developing those lessons. I don't really think that I want to send the "CC" police to check it out.

As teachers we borrow a little bit of this and a little bit of that to create our lessons. You have to look pretty hard to find something that is original and has not been modified by someone. My heart does go out to a lot of the musicians and recording artists that have lost income due to Napster and Limewire. Technology has created a lot of cool things for us to utilize, cut and paste, download, and etc. in order to for us to make our lives easier, create teaching lessons, and etc. We just need to ensure that we give credit where credit is due. So

As a way to stretchlearning about Creative Commons I decided that I would check out a few sites. The first site that I check out was Shutterstock® Photos which is the largest subscription-based stock photo agency in the world. Every day thousands of photographs, illustrations, and vectors are added to an already outstanding collection of premium, royalty-free images. You were able to sign up for a convenient subscription and download up to 750 images a month. where you could purchase a subscription for one month for $249 or three months for $709. This really did not sound like a great deal when you could go to Flickr Creative Commons and download photos for free. As I was checking out the website, they had something called interestingness. It really caught my eye, but looking ahead to Thing #11, I think that is the next thing that I am supposed to be learning about on this incredible journey. So, I guess you need to keep reading this blog to find more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment