Sunday, November 1, 2009

Thing #6: Feed your Reader

Who knew that you could get all this information sent to you "free" by hitting a subscribe button. No magazines or newspapers piling up on the coffee table to be read "when I have time." What's cool about having all these feeds delivered to you, is that you can really skim the story a lot quicker to see if you're interested in it or not.

One of the cool things that I found in my quest looking for feeds was a photo of the Beatles song "Hey Jude" from http://tumblr.com/. As an English teacher, it would be something that you would need to see in order to appreciate. If you're old enough to remember when it was thought to be very important for students to to learn diagram sentences, then this photo will bring back some type of memory. Those of you not old enough to remember will need to go to the url and you will be able to view it.

The English Blog is a cool site with cartoons with analysis, speeches from movies, and free film clips, and an amazing section titled CNN Student News from . CNN Student News actually has a rap of the weekly news. I know that today's students are not going to be excited about being able to rap the latest news story, but the weekly rap may catch their attention just to see what it is all about.



I really enjoyed reading the blog A Teacher's Writes . It is one teacher's thoughts about life, literature, and learning. The writer comes up with eye-catching articles such as "The art of surreptitious note-writing appears to be lost. Students are too busy texting one another to drag out a pen & paper" in order to catch your attention. He also goes on to write helpful hints, practical activities to try, and what we all can relate to "the trials and tribulations of teaching."

The more I learn as we go through each thing, the more I realize that I am very overwhelmed and wonder why I didn't learn about all of this before. I do know that technology keeps changing and something new is coming out on a regular basis. The Free Technology for Teachers is a great resource blog for teachers. The blog lists links to fil, movie clips, games for learning, current news issues, and etc. I have learned that I just have to take each "thing" at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment