Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thing #19: Voicethread

I remember the first time that I ever heard my voice. I was in the third grade and my dad was stationed in the Philippines and my mom had my brother and I make tapes to send to him. The tapes that we made were not cassette tapes and I really couldn't tell you what type of tapes they were, but getting back to the story. I think the day that my mom had us make a tape was when I was sick and it sounded like I had a "frog in my throat." I think I was about nine years old at the time and really couldn't understand what my mom meant when she said I had a "frog in my throat," all I knew was that I didn't like the sound of my voice that day.

Another time that I remember hearing the sound of my voice and was a little horrified, was when the answering machines first came out. I remember taping my outgoing message over and over until I had it just right. I still was never convinced even now that my voice really sounds like that. I always wished I had a voice that would sound good on the radio, television, over the announcements, and etc. However, I am stuck with this voice of mine and whomever has to listen to it is as well.

In fact, every year Poteet does some type of Christmas project. Well, for some reason, I am always in charge of the project (I am not sure how that happens but.) Since my name is Ms. Hokanson, when I started making annoucements, I would say "this is Ms. Ho Ho Hokanson and etc." The kids really loved it and would get a kick out of it. I only allowed them to call me Ms. Ho Ho Hokanson at Christmas time. I am sure that you get my meaning if I allowed them to call me that other times of the year. I also need to mention that I had a school board members son in my class and he use to call me "Miss. Ho", when he would talk to his mom and dad about my class or about me. We laugh about it now that it has been more than five years or so, but at the time I didn't really find it all that funny. I will also mention that this school board member happens to be one of my favorites.

If I was going to choose to listen to a voicethread, it would be someone who has a deep voice. For some reason I enjoy listening to men who have deep voices. I could listen to a man who had a deep voice all day. I will add that I have a friend of mine who is a woman who is always mistaken for a man because she has a deep voice. I wouldn't like that at all! Ok, I have to snap back to reality and close this blog about using voicethreads in the classroom. I really don't think that this is something that I would want to use this as a learning tool with my students. Like them, I would probably be bored out of my mind and start singing or humming to myself.

1 comment:

  1. It is strange listening to your own voice. I always sound so, so...I don't know what, but I don't like it. Funny about your Miss Ho; too bad slang has changed the meaning of thins so much. A former teacher sent out an e-mail at Christmas simply stating "Ho! Ho! Ho!". I e-mailed him back and asked who he was calling a ho!

    ReplyDelete