Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thing # 18: You too can YouTube

I have mentioned many times on this blog that I learn best by using all three modalities. I truly enjoy the visual and auditory modalities the best. In fact, while I am completing my "Things" tonight, I am listening to my IPod Touch, have my iPhone to my left, have the television on, and will start this lesson by getting on the YouTube site. Please don't make the same mistake that I did and type in UTube. That was definitely not the site that I wanted and couldn't seem to get out of for the longest minute that I ever spent in a site.

I started using YouTube last year when I was teaching my students cellphone etiquette. Who knew that when cell phones were invented that we would be teaching students proper etiquette. I used various AT&T commericals advertising texting. I also used commericals off of YouTube when I recently taught a lesson on commercials, slogans, and logos. The students really seemed to enjoy watching the commercials. In addition, I showed a episode of 60 Minutes where they showed managers using old clips of Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Elvis, and Michael Jackson to sell products using their faces and names on lunch pails, backpacks, and etc. Some of my students did not know who Marilyn Monroe or James Dean were, so YouTube came in handy when I showed them the famous Rebel Without A Cause Trailer and Marilyn Monroe sings Happy Birthday to Kennedy. They also got a kick out of watching the 1980 Michael Jackson Pepsi Commercial that was created ten or eleven years before they were even born. As a teacher you can never assume that a student knows about something or who someone is. Using short videos comes in handy for students who are visual learners.

I have also visited TeacherTube numerous times and have enjoyed several videos. One of my favorite videos that was shown at Convocation in 2006 Tags: Mesquite ISD Education Inspiration kids Convocation

We see a video each year at Convocation and this one has to be my absolute favorite. Another video that has become one of my favorites is
Tags: KarlFisch Jeff Brenman technology media shifthappens shift happens powerpoint

It shows us how technology has changed so much over the years and continues to change so much that we are not able to keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment